1. Neotuberostemonine (NTS) is one of the main antitussive alkaloids in the root of Stemona tuberosa Lour, it has a significant protective effect on bleomycin (BLM)-induced pulmonary fibrosis through suppressing the recruitment and M2 polarization of macrophages.
2. Neotuberostemonine demonstrates antitussive properties in guinea pigs.
1. Theobromine and theophylline occur in plants used in the preparation of a number of widely consumed drinks, chromosome abnormalities are caused by both theobromine and theophylline in plant cells and in mammalian cells in culture, and both have anti-mitotic activity.
2. Theobromine may form the basis for a new class of antitussive drugs, it can suppress capsaicin-induced cough with no adverse effects, it also can directly inhibit capsaicin-induced sensory nerve depolarization of guinea-pig and human vagus nerve suggestive of an inhibitory effect on afferent nerve activation.
3. Theobromine, caffeine, and xanthine have a quenching effect on the production of hydroxyl radicals, as well as on oxidative DNA breakage by hydroxyl radicals, they have antioxidants and also capable of prooxidant action.
4. Theobromine may have therapeutic potential for diabetic nephropathy, by reducing kidney ECM accumulation in diabetic.
5. Theobromine independently increased serum HDL-cholesterol concentrations by 0.16 mmol/L.
1. Peimine has good anti-inflammatory effects in vivo, it inhibits the production of inflammatory cytokines induced by LPS through blocking MAPKs and NF-κB signaling pathways.
2. Peimine and peiminine have antitussive and sedative actions, the former action being suspected to be central in nature.
1. Picrinine has notable antitussive, antiasthmatic, expectorant, antiinflammatory and analgesic effects; medicinal composition containing picrinine as active ingredient can be prepared into multiple dosage forms and can be used for treating cold, fever, and respiratory disease caused by fever with good therapeutic effect, convenient application and high safety; picrinine can be used as quality index for pharmic control in preparing medicine for treating cold, fever and respiratory disease caused by fever.
1. Neostenine shows significant antitussive activities.